Sunday, August 13, 2006

They're not teenagers anymore

A friend of my step-son's moved back in with us a couple weeks ago. He turned 21 shortly after. The guy is working 2 full time jobs and is going to start at the Police Academy at the end of the month. He'll have to quit his day job. He's stayed with us before and is really nice to have around.

My step-son turns 21 on Monday. He'll be getting his real estate license soon. I know he's a natural and can't wait to see him in action. He's going to be a dad, but isn't romantically together with the mom right now. Life can get complicated.

My future son-in-law turns 21 on Tuesday. I remember meeting him when he was 18 and promising me he would never quit high school - then didn't make it through that year. But he's since received his GED, is a welder and is going to college this fall. He and my daughter have made it through some tough times and I respect him for that. He loves her and I love him for that.

My daughter will be 20 next month! As many a mom has found, we get along so well now. What a relief that the struggling adolescent years are behind us. The tough choices I made with her still pain me and anger her. As time goes on, may our new relationship heal those hurts that linger.

My step-daughter will be 25 and is ingrained in her adulthood. She is finishing college, thinking of grad school and involved with her boyfriend's business. They live in Memphis and I haven't seen her since before we got married. Maybe I can go next time her dad visits.

No comments: