Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Truth Two

I ran across the 30 Essential Truths according to Dr. Gordon Livingston, author of Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart, on Alex Blackwell's great blog The Next 45 Years. Some of them hit very close to home. This post is about the Second Truth. From Alex's blog:

2. We are what we do. We are not what we think, or what we feel, or what we say, we are what we do. Actions do indeed speak louder than words. If you are unhappy with a particular part of your life, take a strong look at what you are doing to be happier.

As someone who has bipolar disorder, I need to remind myself that I am not what I think or feel. Thoughts and feelings become distorted by an unhealthy mind. For example:

FALSE

True

My life sucks.My life is good and I have been blessed.
I hate this.This is not bad.
Things are hopeless.Things are never hopeless.
FearThis will not kill me.
SadnessSadness is only a symptom of depression.
DespairThere are an infinite number of things that are worse.
I am so alone.I am never alone. I have family, friends and God.
People are critical of me.I don't know what people think of me, nor should I base my happiness on others.
No one knows how I feel.Many others have depression and suffer the same feelings.

One the other side of the coin, I tend to go on about making positive changes, referring to myself as kind, honest, wise and a general all-around goody goody. Those words do not necessarily mean that's how I act. It's how I want to act. But what do I really do?? What did I do today that was kind? Did I tell the truth today or try to hide something that I don't like about myself in order to look good? Have I helped anyone using what I know? Do I use any wisdom that I think I have to build others up or put them down by pointing out what they don't know? Can I be helpful with humility? My goal: to include on my daily task list actions that back up my words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, I really like the idea of coming up with actions to back up the words we use. Thanks for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Great Post :) I love the chart.

Welcome to Her Blog Directory !

~K