Saturday, April 01, 2006

Washington, DC

My son and I spent part of spring break at our nation's capital. It was my first visit and I can't wait to go back. At the zoo, we got a great view of Tai Shan. All three pandas were sleeping - Tai Shan in a tree - but it wasn't crowded and was so great to see them up close.

At the Library of Congress I applied for a reader registration card which gives me access to most of the reading rooms and we headed straight for the main reading room. I could spend an unlimited amount of time here among the 22 reading rooms and 3 buildings.

It was cherry blossom season and the spring days were beautiful. My son especially enjoyed riding the metro and we spent some time at Union Station where we shopped, had lunch and saw "V for Vendetta" because when you're 14 and sight-seeing you must spend a lot of time doing things that you could do at home!

1 comment:

girlfriday said...

Color me green with envy!

Or pink, perhaps.

I love Washington. It's much-maligned and little understood. Lots of corrupt politicians and otherwise, but mostly regular people trying to live regular lives. The zoo is incredible as are the cherry blossoms. I'm so glad you loved it.